Town of Lexington Historic Walking Tour
Welcome to the Historic Downtown Lexington Cell Phone Walking Tour Presented by the Town of Lexington and the Lexington County Museum.
The historic town of Lexington, South Carolina is a direct descendent of the old Royal township of Saxe Gotha. This township was one of eleven established in 1735 by the Colonial government of King George II to encourage settlement of backcountry South Carolina and serve as a protective buffer between powerful Indian tribes to the west and the older settled plantations of the low country.
By 1861, when it was incorporated as a town, Lexington boasted a diverse population of lawyers, physicians, tradespeople, artisans and farmers. There were then two churches, several schools, a carriage factory, a saw and gristmill, a tannery, livestock yard, tin and blacksmiths, and a weekly newspaper. The major crops of the surrounding countryside were mainly cotton, corn sweet potatoes and lumber.
The Town of Lexington has continued to be the political center of Lexington County, one of the fastest growing areas of the nation. With new major highways passing nearby, the town continues to experience phenomenal growth. The people of Lexington are proud of their past and look forward, look forward to a promising future and hope that you enjoy our historic tour.
Download the brochure
Tour Stop 1 - Old Courthouse 139 East Main Street
Tour Stop 2 - Walker and Morgan 135 East Main Street
Tour Stop 3 - Cribb's Sandwich and Sweet Shop 108 South Church Street
Tour Stop 4 - Palmetto Collegiate Institute 104 Hendrix Street
Tour Stop 5 - Carpet One 102 West Main Street
Tour Stop 6 - St. Stephens Lutheran Church 119 North Church Street
Tour Stop 7 - Bank of Western Carolina Building 126 East Main Street
Tour Stop 8 - Nicholson Davis Frawley Law Office 140 East Main Street
Tour Stop 9 - Simmons Harth Gantt House Gantt Street
Tour Stop 10 - Home National Bank Building 200 East Main Street
For More Information contact:
Events and Media Coordinator