Lexington had its beginning on January 24, 1820 with the purchase of two acres of land for the establishment of a new courthouse and jail for Lexington County. The Town was called "Lexington Courthouse" until 1900.
1821 - First of four courthouses in Town, constructed of wood, was built on the northwest corner of Main Street and N. Lake Drive.
1822 - Village was composed of the frame courthouse, the jail, two stores, a tavern, a blacksmith shop and three dwellings.
1831 - St. Stephen's Lutheran Church was constructed as the Town's first church.
1838 - Second courthouse and jail constructed of granite covered with stucco.
1853 - Town's first newspapers, The Lexington Telegraph and The Lexington Flag were established. The Lexington Flag continued until burned in 1865.
January 28, 1861 - A Municipal Charter was issued to the Town.
February 15, 1865 - Town burned by Federal troops under Major General Hugh Judson Kilpatrick.
1870 - The Lexington Dispatch newspaper was founded by Godfrey M. Harmon.
1890 - Lexington Manufacturing Company was organized as a textile mill with W.P. Roof as president. Mr. Roof established Lexington Savings Bank, the Town's first bank.
1898 - Telephones arrived with the formation of the Citizens Telephone Company .
1901 - Town business' included 3 drug stores, 1 grocery, 2 hotels, 3 hardware stores, 3 dry goods stores, 3 general merchandise stores, 1 furniture store, a millinery shop, a livery stable, a bank, a State whiskey dispensary, 2 physicians, 1 dentist. A Town well stood at the intersection of Main and Church Streets. At the train depot (on Hwy #6 at the railroad tracks) were 2 general stores, 2 fertilizer warehouses, a cotton warehouse and passenger/freight building.
1911 - Electricity for lighting was made available.
1912 - Lexington Public School (on North Lake Drive) opened.
1916 - On March 28th fire destroyed all but four buildings in the Town's business district.
1927 - Municipal water system began operation.
1928 - U.S. Highway #1 was paved through town.
1930 - Lake Murray Dam reservoir project was completed.
1938 - The Old Town Hall, with its fire bell and old jail, was torn down.
1940 - Present courthouse dedicated after 1939 completion.
1973 - The first female Town Councilmember, Maureen Macaulay, was elected.
1976 - The Council form of government was adopted under the Home Rule Act.
April 30, 1993 - The new Lexington Town Hall on Maiden Lane was opened.
September 12, 1993 - Virginia Hylton Park was dedicated.
August 16, 1994 - A tornado tore a path through downtown Lexington.
1997 - On February 11, Richard Thompson became the first African-American elected to the Town Council.
April 6, 2003 - The new Police Headquarters on Maiden Lane opened.
October 17, 2004 - The new Lexington Municipal Complex at 111 Maiden Lane was dedicated.
July 22, 2007 - Gibson Pond Park was officially opened.
May 15, 2008 - The restored Palmetto Collegiate Institute and the Leonard L. Price Gardens surrounding it were officially opened.
June 14, 2009 - Willie B. Caractor Park was officially opened.
September 2012 - Lexington Square at the corner of East Main Street and South Lake Drive opened.
April 13, 2014 - Lexington Paw Park was officially opened.
September 30, 2014 - The 14 Mile Creek Trail was officially opened.
October 2015 - The Town was devastated by historic floods which destroyed the dams at the Old Mill Pond and Gibson Pond Park.
2043 - On January 15, the 50 year old time capsule placed in the Town Hall at 111 Maiden Lane will be opened.